Employment

I sat down today after my vacation to read an article about employment, and it caught my attention immediately! I read it over at 'The Mighty' website, and I linked it right here for you guys to read if you want: https://themighty.com/2017/09/tips-for-hiring-an-employee-with-autism/

What got to me in the article is that less than a third of people who have Asperger's are employed. That does not surprise me because it took me forever to find a job. When I did get my first job, I had a very difficult time, and in fact still, do struggle at my current job. It is difficult because of the smells, the noise, and the constant talking to people that really drain me. I am very sensitive to lights, smells, people and noises, and grooming dogs is probably not the best environment for someone with Asperger's.

Could I be in a better grooming environment with my diagnosis? I am sure, but I have yet to find one. One thing I feel like that could have helped me from the very beginning was being open and honest about my diagnosis. It is still a struggle to open up and tell people about me having Asperger's. My advice to anybody applying for any job is, to be honest about your diagnosis. I tried, and often still catch myself doing this, which is trying to "hide" my Asperger's. I was, and still, am embarrassed about it. 

I love that I have a skill that cannot be replaced. On that note, I hope that I can find a job or position, an office job, or a commodity like that as something to rely on. I hope that someone can offer to train me on the job. Grooming is my only job skill at the moment, and need a change of pace. If school weren't so expensive, I'd be there, too.  

Maybe one day I will get to do what I dream of. Until next time...

xoxo,

Hannah's blog.


Comments

  1. good article attached- now we need them to hire you! You are such a hard worker and reliable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Hannah, that was a good article. I have an employee that is on the spectrum and I think I'll get him that book recommended in the article.

    Do you think a smaller, privately owned groomer is the way to go?
    -Rach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, but I need insurance. Most small shops don't have insurance possibilities for their employees.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular

Independence

Seeking Help as an Adult