Family (and Dogs) Matter

Yes, a family does matter! 

Family can be defined as literal blood relatives and family. It can be friends, significant others, and honestly, our pets can be our own family! Some of us are not as fortunate as others to have all of that. I feel extremely blessed, and will never deny the fact that I have the best wonderful influences, family members, and pets in the world (don't take offense, I am sure you think that of your family/ friends/ pets).

I often get asked in one shape or form when my love of animals really took off, and if my family is just as obsessed as I am. I would say that there IS a love of animals in my family, I just knew from as long as I can remember that I would be working with them in one form or another. I don't know if anyone, in particular, had that obsession like I did. 

I was convinced that I'd be a zookeeper, a veterinarian, or a caretaker in some form. I am now a dog groomer. I consider every dog, cat, or any other animal I groom as like family. Even if they try to eat my face off!

My sister, who is a few years older than I, got our first family pet. A Shetland Sheepdog named Sebastion who was smarter than any dog I knew. My family and friends loved him fiercely. I honestly believe that he started the spark in my mind to always want to be with animals for the rest of my life.

That same sister also got another dog a few years later. A Pomeranian and Chihuahua cross named skittles. I ended up keeping her and renaming her Winifred. She is still alive at about 17 years young! This dog is one amazing dog. I am dreading the day she goes. What got me into grooming was her! I attempted grooming her one day, looked terrible, and decided then maybe I should learn. She's been everywhere and been my buddy forever!

In 2015, I made the decision to adopt ONE dog from the shelter or a rescue. I was thinking of adopting a medium to large dog. Maybe terrier, Shepherd, something other than a chihuahua! I was determined to NOT get a chihuahua! Well, that changed the SECOND I saw a picture of Titus, a long haired Chihuahua. I saw his face and KNEW he was mine. I planned then and still plan on it now for him to become my service dog. I so badly wanted Winifred to be mine, but she's a little old for that. :) I also adopted Lucy that same day Titus came home with me. Never intended to have 3 dogs at once, but here I am with three crazy dogs! :)

This is my dog family, and I love them to pieces. Another day, I will talk more about them, my grooming career, and wonderful family and friends.

 To be continued...


xoxo, 
hannah

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular

Independence

Seeking Help as an Adult

Employment