Why It's Important To Be Nice

In the world we live in now, it is filled with people who are looking for immediate gratification, self-centered humans, and people who throw tantrums over the silliest things. The tantrums, the yelling, the rude, belittling, and condescending comments are doing worse for the world and the people around us than you, as a customer think.

Why you ask? Because you, the customer, do NOT know what others are going through just like I do NOT know what you are going through. I am in NO way perfect when it comes to being nice ALL the time, however, I try my hardest every day to be nice because I know that what someone is going through just might be a lot worse than I can comprehend. 

As a dog groomer, I appreciate every single nice person. Since I have become a groomer, I have realized that it is SUCH a hard job to do. For a lot (obviously not all) of pet groomers, it is the stress of doing so many dogs, meeting quota/ a bottom line. For me, the stress of grooming are the customers, not the dogs. Working in this industry, it is a 100% customer service based job. Had I known that from the beginning, I do not think I would have chosen this job.

That sounds so harsh, yes, but the reality is is that I struggle with the people aspect of this job. I have struggled with understanding people from the day I can remember. Being Diagnosed with ASD (autism spectrum disorder) as a child, I have a difficult time with communicating, facial expressions, eye contact, and just sometimes basic understanding of life sometimes. For most people, the physical part is exhausting at the end of the day. As for me, it is the emotional, mental, and talking with people most of the day is what exhausts me the MOST.

Working in the pet industry, I talk to people more than I have to deal with pets on a daily basis. That includes the awesome and wonderful people who come in with their awesome and wonderful pets, but that also includes people who are rude, entitled, yelling, angry, upset, and just downright lie about anything. That is SO hard! As someone with ASD, when I do get that customer that is rude, yelling, or lying about something, I am a person who shuts down, cannot physically talk, and because of that, it usually makes customers angrier because they feel like I do not care, which is just the opposite! This happened just yesterday, and I just didn't know how to handle that with a proper response a normal person would.

On one end, I am sure whatever she is going through in her personal life is not easy, but that does not excuse anyone for being rude or mean. Just like if I were having a bad day, I just cannot imagine being that impolite to any customer.

All clientele with pets, please remember, we as groomers DO love your animals. We would not be in this business if we did not. If we accidentally nick your pet, we often cry about it. It is never on our agenda to purposely hurt or harm your pets. A quote I once read stated, "We all want others to treat our prized possessions with care and respect. Other people also have possessions that are important to them, and they want us to treat their possessions with care and respect." We try our hardest to treat your babies, prized possessions, angels with care, and if something happens, it breaks our hearts, too.

It goes both ways, so love and be nice!

xoxo,
Hannah's blog

Comments

  1. Very nicely expressed, Hannah! I didn't want to leave you hanging, like you have customer-care challenges just b/c of your ASD. I don't think it's unusual to shut down and have no response when someone is angry or yelling at you.

    I too long for a job with no customer interaction. In general, human interaction exhausts me, even when it's positive! So let me know when you find that job with limited customer interaction, I'll be signing up. :-) It can take a lifetime to find the right combination of cost/reward in a career. Have you heard the joke: Why do adults always ask kids what they want to be when they grow up? 'Cause they're looking for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean like get rid of all human interaction. :) I just don't need a customer service based job. That is all!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I thought you wanted to work with robots! J.K. I do like working in a team (of humans, not robots), but in general, customers--even internal ones--stinketh.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular

Independence

Seeking Help as an Adult

Employment